Finding the time to market your business can be the most challenging part of marketing. If you are like many other small business owners you do a little bit of everything. You are manufacturing, shipping, bookkeeping, operations, and more. Some of you even have a full time job in addition to your small business. This makes it difficult to find the time to do any marketing. You are not alone 55% of small business owners list “Time to get everything done” as a huge challenge and another 30% list marketing expertise as a “huge challenge”.
Fortunately, there are some tools out there to help you make the most of the time you have!
As I mentioned before, I think email is a key component in your marketing mix. One of the easiest ways to keep in touch is to set up automated campaigns. I suggest two types of campaigns that will put your emails on automatic and save you time!
Quick note: You must be using a email service like MailChimp, Emma or Constant Contact. These are easy to use and inexpensive and will make your life easier and also ensure that you are complying with all federal regulations regarding commercial emails.
1. Welcome campaign: create a series of 3-5 emails that will go out to your subscriber for the 30 to 60 days after they sign up for email. You could do a campaign like the below or something else. The key here is to send them interesting content that keeps you top of mind while they still remember you.
- Email 1: Thank you email and gift or offer
- Email 2: Informative email with tips on how to use product with link back to product page
- Email 3: Invitation email: Let them know what you are doing and where you are going to be and invite them to come by.
You will need about 10-12 hours to create the content and set up the campaign. But after you have done that, you can set it and forget it!
2. Triggered emails based on activity
- You can create campaigns that send based on what your customer does. It can be as simple as having opened an email, or clicked on a link to a more complex trigger like a specific purchase or other goal.
3. Automated emails that pull content from your website
- Instead of creating separate content for your website and your email. Let your subscribers know what’s new! Send them an email round up of new content since you last emailed them.
You will need about 2 hours set up the campaign. But after you have done that, you can set it and forget it! Just keep adding content to your website and you will always have fresh content for your email
In my next installment: Find the time for your Social Media efforts!